GEM

Shiny Sparkly Thing Must Have Precioussss

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bland Prugging

So there I was, trying my darnest to come up with a nice spot for the webcomicwars so DH can show herself, since we've got a standing rule that one shouldn't post twice in a row.

Used my kewt new violet Black and Decker vaccuum to eat up the dustbunnies that have blown up over the years under my bed. Managed to open up the box that had all my college tools in it, paintbrushes, techpens, paints and so forth. Okay, so I have my sketch right... for more than a couple of days already. I didn't exactly have paper so I used one of those really nice copy typewriting papers, Delta I think (used to use this for inking things when I'm at home and there's left over work for me to do.....) so it had this yellow tinge to it. That was fiiine. But I didn't have any inking materials and frankly... my unipins have long dried out, the Rotring, Steadtler and Faber Castell techpens dried out as well. Good thing I found an asthmatic black Dong-a gel pen. Didn't work out as well as I wished (gel pens normally being bloopy and prone to pinky stains) but ok.
For contrast I needed to fill in the black spaces. Riiight. No pentel pens in my room. So I decided to unearth a 0.8 Rotring. Easier said than done. I probably filled it in a couple years back so it took a good 30 minutes to twist out the head and another hour with tissue paper, alcohol and soap and water to clean the whole thing including needle. Don't worry folks. It's a 0.8 so it's easy to return the needle. Right. Fill in with the first ink bottle I see: Faber Castell black. Give a good shake, squirt and go.

Bloop bloop bloop there's all this oily gray goo coming out and if at first I thought it was just ink mixing with water? No. It's rotten Faber ink. No big. I had a spare Rotring black. So squirt squirt and go. Acceptable, if you consider this sticky formula, and you have to keep shaking the pen to keep it going. It tires me and it's killing the paper. So next solution: Higgins black ink and ... paintbrush! Yeah. Right. The Higgins ink, long dead, no matter how hard I shook it... just came up with a watery, yellowy substance very similar to the end of the gel pen ink refills. No-Go.

So next best thing is to squirt the begeezus out of the Rotring bottle, mix it with the Faber Castell watery goo and paint it on.

There are ink splatters on my bed covers again and the college tool box thingy... a mess. My thumbs are stained with Rotring Ink.

The lesson for today is: you wanna draw? Get the demn right materials! Rotring Ink apparently outives the other brands. The steadtler ink I have resembles a sewer hole. Smells like it too. Starbucks tissue doesn't absorb ink very well. They must have made it to just drink up coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home