GEM

Shiny Sparkly Thing Must Have Precioussss

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Batizado-- Day 1

We were introduced to three Maestres... The first was the guy who put up Escola Brasiliera Capoeria, Maestre Oscar. Then there was Maestre Pano, the guy who picked up the training today. The last guy's name didn't stick to me, I have to ask Ge for his name tomorrow.

If I'm not wrong, M' Pano taught in Singapore... and dropped by to do the Batizado with us. Well.. obviously he doesn't speak English a lot... but what the hey, we're all doing Capoeira here... no problem.

His warm up included all these practice moves... if you think about it.. it's not that hard at all... until you try and twist yourself and flop like a fish out of water. It's funny, I kid you not. Hey, that doesn't mean I enjoy sniggering at my fellow newbies... like I said before... I'm no gummy worm on the floor. I'm pretty glad that the first day was challenging, educational and just-right tough. There was all the usual stuff: ginga-to-death, ginga and do a practice... the 2-by-2 practice, and interestingly enough... the initial practice lines were actually practice for a couple of moves used in the 2 by 2's. Maestre Pano even found to time to grab my ankles and give me a good back stretch. (It's... not how you'd imagine, really.)

New stuff learned - you can do a whole bunch of half-way moves. M' Pano taught us a half-way au, and you land on a negacciva (ok, I can't spell the stuff yet), flip to the reverse side, role and you're great. There's also a nice bridge move from the negs you sort of cross over your nega leg and end up on a reverse bridge. Try to role out of that move and you get to execute a kick! (Of course yours truly couldn't get that leg high enough cause my huge arms are huge weak (berate berate berate)) Hmmm... he taught us a pretty take-down. I am thinking this should work better than the hastiera since you can't hardly get close enough or put enough shin power into a hastiera. This one involves you hooking your leg behind an outstretched leg, push the stomach in and kick back the leg. Splat. Unless your opponent has a pretty strong bridge get-up... it's all gleuteous maximus meeting the floor. Another thought I picked up while watching the advanced class... practice moving with the music... without stopping. It practices your flow in the game as well as keeping your balance since you're mostly going to do the ginga anyway. (Plus it must be a great workout) But hmhmhm... one of the things that you get to enjoy in Capoeira is the flow of movements that make it look like a dance. I suppose that's one important factor hehe you've got the music in it after all.

The bottom scruff of my toes are busted again... my muscles are aching... my knee feels funky... my wrist needs more support... my back seems to want to be cracked silly by that chiro-guy... I'm 1,200 bucks shorter because of those "get it now or never" EBC shirts (they're 600 bucks each... I guess SOMEone's making a living...) I am thinking... SERIOUSLY thinking of getting my own Berimbau (a stringed instrument we use in the roda to play music with) unless I find my own gourd, (?) piece of wood and the wire from my car's tires and make one myself! (As if). But it's 2,500 a pop... and I honestly don't have the money for that. Anyone out there ever tried using a coconut shell, rattan and the tire wire? Come on... the hammer is a pebble, and that could just as well be a barbeque stick... I might end up just making a cool Filipino musical instrument or something. I'm dry (but looking at that other tshirt)... I guess I'll have to find another racket, and soon! OOo... oooo... did I mention that they were also selling the colored pants (they're heavy, but just waaaay too cool!) these are 2,500 each also (or was that 2,700?). The Maestres also brought some books about Capoeira. Er... anyone notice that these are in Portugese? I felt like the guy in the Prestige... "Even if you had the cipher, it would take months to decode! We don't even know if the secret is here!" mwehehehe... I'll stick to my "(not so)Little Book of Capoeira" in the meantime. The next thing to do is probably learn Portugese and go to Brazil!!! Shopping after class... sigh* Like O said: I LOVE Money!

Poch, his friend and I had this fun talk in the car; they hitched with me on the way home (darnit I should've asked for money... tshirt! pants!). According to his friend... Alterations Plus can actually make you an abada, that is to say... if you're willing to cough up 1,500 a yard for the material (yeah that ought to cover a leg and a half), and have them experiment on the one that you bought from Brazil and try to do the 5-stich thingy themselves. According to this guy... your local mananahe's only have 2-3 stitch machines. So, good luck with that. The spandex should pretty much cover 2k, and the labor could go around 500, why not? All in all... just order from Fantasma and get it over with. He has them cool colored ones for an extra twoooo hoooonnered! Wouldn't it be a steal to have the cordeo color to match those pants, yes? Hahaha... I'm kidding!

Urgh... next workshop is on Wednesday. I hope I hope I hope it's this fun... Instructor Fantasma says that the main event is on Saturday, the Podium at 3pm. Eeeeek!!! I'm scared! I'm excited! I'm... what? To borrow my HK teammates' expression----- @.@;

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home