GEM

Shiny Sparkly Thing Must Have Precioussss

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Batizado-- Day 2

I was late a few minutes... darn Edsa traffic... you wouldn't believe it.

Again, it was Maestre Ousada who trained us today with the same series of practice exercises... the first one with the compasso missed me totally. My partner Chit and I tried it a few times but well... I think my feet were still flopsy. I didn't get it at all... Johnny tried to show it to me again... but well... it was off to the next practice set. It goes something like this: a compasso (to me, it still looks like a Turning Long Kick in TKD... but the Bug and a lot of others contest that thought... anyhoo...) defensive move would be to step into the compasso (right?), step backwards then switch foot. You end up BESIDE your opponent. How to do that in the roda is still beyond me.

Today... we had a really great roda! I played twice, once with Tina, then with Poch. Albert and I still have a rematch pending... and today's his BIRTHDAY!!! The guys gave him a roda-till-you-drop sesh (basically they just kept on challenging him) and the Maestre's even had their spin in the roda. WOW. Now if I had told you that Fantasma makes everything look easy and so fluid... these three big Ninja Turtles sure gave us all a run for our money! Master Pano (with a knee injury) still manages to take down a couple of the orange belters, spin on his head, flip around the roda and show us what a true Capoeirista could look forward to after 35 years of training. Thuuurteee-Fahyve yeeeers. Doesn't mean much? Yeah? He's 52 years old! He could be someone's granddad! Ye Gad! Here's a guy who does three moves so quick it looks like one of those skippy filmstrip. You blink and there he is. Rave! Rave! Rave! OH... and Maestre Oscar... Fantasma... but WAAAAY better! This is the guy who taught Fantasma (can't imagine a skinny, nerdy newbie kid-Fantasma... can you?) Fantasma looks at him with these starry eyes thing... he's the IDOL. Maestre Ousada however... loves his flips and take downs :D Gawd, and major application of all the stuff he's teaching! It's like barely touching the surface of what he can do.

The roda was around over an hour... I didn't even notice. I did notice that we were eating up the time for the advanced classes... but that was an hour?? I thought it was like... I dunno... 30 minutes or so... it was too quick! Must have been all that axe'! Axe' (who knows the shortkey to that e with the apostrophe on top?) is the energy in Capoeira. It's like what you feel when you're in a concert and the whole crowd is dancing, singing and begging for more. And the star of the concert is YOU. Y'know... if those energy-reading eyepieces from Dragonball are real... the roda will clock as something on it. I imagine that the roda is a circle of bright flame... like a huge, merry bonfire.

I borrowed "Only the Strong" cd from Ge... I don't think I'll be able to watch it tonight... something wonky with my cdrom. So here I am feeling all my muscles... eating bananas (I hear the potassium is good against the lactic acids... I just need to know how many more of this infernal yellow fruit I must eat!).

What I want:

- to be prepared for Saturday. We'll be in the Podium from 3pm-7pm, don't miss us. I hope that they would put out mats for us... I can't imagine doing stuff on the marble floor. I'm nervous as heck, but well... I think that's expected. Great... parking fees are gonna eat into my wallet too. :/

- to get the chiro to do my back again. I think this can wait till next week. I don't want him to mess with my back and mess up my game, I think this is a lot of muscle pain right here. I just want to have my spine realigned, my neck cracked. And I also want to buy some of those imported vitamins that he sells... they're really different. Why? There is a really lengthy explanation I'll type about some other time. It tends to get lecture-y.

- a full body massage using that Bath and Body works thingy with anti muscle ache formula... but again, this can wait till next week. Or a relaxing swim. I don't know how long it's been. It ought to be really cool, I can test my new arm strength or something.

- STEAK. Please, someone feed me! Feeeeeed meee! Wanna hug? GRAAAAHHH! I want a really juicy porterhouse steak dripping with gravy and a smattering of garlic bits on top... a little golden with butter and steaming hot on the plate... soft and chewy and so flavourful... I'm not asking for the gourmet stuff... Hotrocks is fine. I like their steak. Huge, affordable and they cook it like I like it.

- last but the most critical of all: NOT to do a Modess commercial. DAY of the month plus pristine white abada... multiplied by publicity. The girls out there all know how annoying it is that when you are expecting a big event... nuff said. >(

For tomorrow, part of the whole Batizado workshop is the singing contest. I just want to watch. Whoever wins gets to pit his or her song as the PH representative song against all those other Capoeira schools. One winner, lotsa prizes. Yeah, easy? It has to be in Portugese... you have to sing it in front of everyone (well, not that bad since we all sing and yell our hearts out in the roda anyway), and you have to use an instrument with it. My take on it? I can't even holler "Paranaue" and clap in rhythm! I have to skip every other beat when I'm yodeling to keep the axe' up.

Goodluck to the participants of the contest! :D

Now to stitch my new patch to my abada. (Yawn) toooooooooooommowow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home